PARQ Vancouver launched another new restaurant this month when the 170-seat Victor threw open its doors and welcomed the city’s top foodies, bloggers, and media personalities in.
Situated on the 6th floor of the Douglas Autograph Collection hotel, the restaurant boasts unprecedented views of False Creek and the downtown skyline, dark rich oak flooring, and an expansive lay-out.
Guests enjoyed never-ending bubbles and custom cocktails, and nibbled their way through three lavish food stations, followed by an indulgent buffet of mini desserts on porcelain tea towers, confectioners’ jars of gummies and candies, and elevated dollops of champagne-coloured candy floss.
While The Victor features a contemporary and seasonally inspired menu highlighting a wide array of Pacific Northwest favourites, it is the selection of dishes from the ‘you and i’ sides menu that caught my eye. This fine-dining destination is undoubtedly a steak and seafood restaurant but the menu includes a wide selection of plantbased dishes which were featured beautifully on thick rough hewn planks and in bowls.
The chargrilled lipstick peppers had the perfect amount of heat and oil drizzle; the pretzel-crusted onion ring stack was definitely designed for eating with eager fingers – crunchy and satisfying; and the roasted beet root salad had its sweet earthiness kicked up a notch with the addition of the Chimichurri sauce from an adjacent buffet.
Based on Elizabeth Blau and Kim Canteenwalla’s vision, the design concept and branding was executed by San Diego-based SixteenFifty Creative Intelligence, with inspiration drawn from the reign of Queen Victoria. Paying homage to the adage “To the victor belongs the spoils,” the room immerses guests in a earthy toned intimacy, commanding oak tables and banquets reminiscent of the green leather benches seen in London’s chamber of the House of Commons.
When devoid of the dessert buffet, the private room adjoining the wine cellar will be a perfect space for special events. In the spring, those seeking full immersion in nature will be able to lounge on the elegant patio leading out to the park, the resort’s sixth-level elevated green space comprised of a 30,000-square-feet of verdant greenery, ponds, and walkways.
The wine list at The Victor is comprised of quality bottles sourced from around the globe, with a focus on BC, California, and regions of France. This extensive selection is supplemented by one of Canada’s largest wine Enomatics; a preservation system that allows for high-end wines to be served by the glass.
Craft beer selections extend a special nod to local breweries with Steamworks, 33 Acres and Postmark Brewing on the menu. Cocktail aficionados will delight in adventurous drinks separated into the categories of Diplomacy (light and delicate) and Campaign (strong and battle-ready), including the signature Emperor’s Sour and the Smoke and Oak house martini.
“The Victor showcases the best elements of Vancouver and the Pacific Northwest while offering an accessible, playful and exploratory dining experience for every guest,” says Grant Nelson, general manager. “Our goal is to ensure each diner receives a personalized experience tailored to their tastes, and departs with a feeling of genuine enjoyment of their experience and the space.”
Before you leave, pause at the entrance, for the obligatory selfie against the Queen Bee adorned, and slightly gruesome vibrant wallpaper, which is hands-down the top location in the city for Instagram pics.
- Helen Siwak is the founder of EcoLuxLuv Communications, publisher of Folio.YVR Luxury Lifestyle Magazine, and multiple digital lifestyle blogs. She is a content creator, consultant, and marketing and media strategist in the luxury lifestyle niche. She is a regular content contributor to Retail-Insider and has a vast freelance portfolio including Boulevard English & Chinese editions, Indulge, and Montecristo Magazine. When not attending high-profile events in Vancouver's 'Luxury Zone’ or on assignment abroad, she is honing her plant-based cooking skills and caring for her firstname.lastname@example.org
- Events2019.12.01EcoLuxLuv☆YVR: Leisure Center Presents DEVOA by Daisuke Nishida
- Dining2019.09.15EcoLuxLuv☆YVR: Vietnamese Restaurant Do Chay Saigon Launches Exciting Menu
- Drive2019.08.10EcoLuxLuv☆YVR: Mini Vancouver Launches in Kitsilano
- Events2019.07.15EcoLuxLuv☆YVR: Whisky Wisemen 3rd Annual Charity Tournament